Identifying a failing septic system can be exceedingly difficult for an untrained eye. If you think that your septic system might have some problems, it is recommended that you get it inspected by a licensed professional right away. Septic systems do not typically show signs of failure until they are in an advanced state of deterioration so time is of the essence.
If you notice any of the warning signs listed below, it may be an indication that your septic system is malfunctioning and that you need to enlist the help of a professional.
- A strong “rotten egg” odor inside or outside the house can be indicative of gases that are released during your septic tank’s decomposition processes
- Gurgling sounds coming from the plumbing system
- Soggy spots in your yard with bright, lush green grass
- A rancid, slimy, black liquid in or around the drain field area
- Slow draining sinks, toilets, showers and other backups
- Standing water in the drain field area
- Water that rises to the surface during heavy rain or whenever your water use is high, like when you are doing laundry
- Sewage backing up into the toilets, bathtubs or floor drains
Even when you see some of these signs, it doesn’t always mean that you need a total septic system replacement, there may still be many repair options available. However, while it may be necessary to have the tank pumped during the repair process, pumping the tank alone will not correct a failing system.
If you think your system might be failing, give FloHawks a call today at 1.800.356.4295. We are Puget Sound’s premier septic system repair and installation professionals and take pride in properly identifying problems and providing individualized solutions.
We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week including nights, weekends, holidays and for emergencies. FloHawks’ professionals are fully trained and licensed to provide the best in septic inspections and pumping as well as septic system installation, repair and maintenance.